Prep: 15 min l Total: 1hr 15 min l Serves 4
1 bunch pencil asparagus, (about 1 pound)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon sugar
½ tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
½ tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 ounces stale bread, crust removed, chopped into 1x1-inch cubes (ciabatta, country-style, or sourdough)
1 English cucumber, peeled, roughly chopped
2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoons Sherry Vinegar
2 tablespoons HIdden Valley Ranch
1/4 cup Hidden Valley Ranch dressing
1 tablespoon Sherry Vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
2. In a large pot, bring 5 cups of water to a boil. Season lightly with salt. Cut asparagus spears, keeping 3-inch long tips. Cut remaining asparagus into ½-inch rounds. Cook the tips until bright green, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the asparagus tips to a large bowl. In a small bowl, set aside 10-12 tips for pickling. Cook the remaining asparagus stalks until fork tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the cooked asparagus to the large bowl with tips. Cover with 1 ½ cups cooking water and bring to room temperature. Transfer to the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
3. In the small bowl with asparagus tips, combine ½ teaspoon kosher salt, sugar, lime juice, and parsley; mix together. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 min.
4. Place bread on a sheet tray, drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with a pinch of salt. Toast the bread lightly, about 5-8 minute. Set aside a small amount for garnish.
5. In a blender, combine the cucumber, asparagus tips, celery, garlic, sherry vinegar, bread, and 1 cup of reserved cooking water. Blend until smooth. Add Hidden Valley Ranch, oil olive, and season with salt and pepper. If necessary, add more water in ¼ cup increments until reaches the desired smoothness.
6. In a small bowl, mix together the Hidden Valley Ranch and sherry vinegar. Set aside.
7. Serve soup with toasted bread, ranch sauce, pickled asparagus tips, and freshly ground black pepper.
Cook with soul. Eat with pleasure! Join the movement hashtag #MakeitGravy with a post of your recreation on social media!