Prep time: 5 minutes l Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 15 minutes l Serves: 6-8
Canola oil, for deep frying
1½ cups buttermilk
½ cup cornmeal
1 cup self-rising flour
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound fresh whole okra
1. In a large skillet, heat 3-inches of oil over medium heat until the oil reaches 360ºF.
2. Pour the buttermilk into a shallow dish. In a large bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper.
3. Dip okra in buttermilk on all sides, allow excess to drip off, toss in flour and cornmeal mixture, and place into the hot oil.
4. Turn occasionally to cook evenly on all sides, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a tray lined with paper towel. Repeat in batches until all okra is cooked. Lightly season with salt.
6. Cook with soul. Eat with pleasure!
- Use Frozen, omit the buttermilk. Add the defrosted okra to the dredge and fry it.
- If you don’t have self-rising flour, add 1 tablespoon of baking powder to 1 cup of all-purpose flour.
- Cook okra in small batches, (avoiding to overcrowd the pan) so the oil will maintain a temperature of 360ºF and give the okra a golden brown color and crisp texture.