6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for serving
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cups buttermilk
1 ounce shredded havarti cheese
1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
Orange marmalade, for topping
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Melt butter in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat, swirling the pan occasionally to grease the sides of the skillet. Stir sugar into melted butter with a spatula, and cook for 1 minute. Shut off heat and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs and buttermilk. Whisk together the egg mixture with cornmeal mixture. Carefully fold the butter and sugar mixture into batter and stir to combine.
5. Pour batter into prepared cast-iron skillet and set over medium heat. Top with havarti cheese and jalapeños. Cook cornbread until bottom is solidified, and bubbles form around the sides, about 4 to 5 minutes.
6. Transfer skillet to the oven and bake until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm with butter and orange marmelade.
7. Bake with soul. Eat with pleasure!