Prep Time 25 minutes | Cook Time 35 minutes | Total Time 1 hour
3 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and diced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
3 pounds ground turkey
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon flour
2 cups frozen peas and carrots
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
1 1/2 cups whole milk, warm
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place potatoes into a large pot and cover with cold water; season with salt, and boil until fork tender, about 15 minutes.
3. In the meantime, heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, season with salt, and cook until very soft and slightly brown, about 5 minutes. Add ground turkey and garlic and cook until meat is browned, about 10 minutes. Season meat with fennel, salt and black pepper. Stir in tomato paste and flour and cook together until well combined into the meat, about 2 minutes. Stir in peas and carrots, Worcestershire sauce, and parsley. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pot, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and allow juices to thicken, about 2 more minutes. Set mixture aside.
3. Drain potatoes and transfer to a large bowl. Add milk and butter and mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. Spoon the meat mixture into a 9-inch-by-13-inch casserole dish; spread evenly. Spread potatoes over the meat mixture in an even layer. Bake until filling is hot, and top and sides are slightly golden brown, about 35 minutes. For additional color, turn on broiler and brown top, about 1 minute. Remove from oven and cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve with more parsley.
5. Cook with soul. Eat with pleasure!