2 (1-inch) strip steaks
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, smashed
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1. Season the steak liberally on each side with salt and pepper. Allow the seasoned steaks to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking.
2. Heat the oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until the pan is smoking. Add the steaks and cook until crusty and golden brown, about 3 minutes. Flip the steaks and add the butter, garlic, and thyme to the skillet. Cook the steaks for 2 more minutes, basting the steaks with the butter, garlic, and thyme.
3. Transfer the steaks to a plate and cover with aluminum foil allowing the meat to rest half the time of cooking.
4. Cut the steak off the bone and slice the meat across the grain. Serve the steak with cornbread.
5. Cook with soul. Eat with pleasure!