Serves 4 | Prep Time 30 minutes | Cook Time 20 minutes | Total Time 50 minutes
2 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
4 boneless skinless or skin-on chicken thighs
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
¼ cup your favorite hot sauce
1 tablespoon seasoning blend (see above)
Canola oil, for deep frying
4 soft seeded rolls, lightly toasted
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup Mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed Lemon juice
½ teaspoon Celery seeds
Splash of pickle brine
Splash of hot sauce
Iceberg lettuce, sliced
Shredded Red cabbage (optional)
Sliced tomatoes (optional)
Bread and Butter pickles
Your favorite Hot Sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a small bowl, mix together paprika, cayenne, onion and garlic powder, oregano, salt, and pepper. Set aside seasoning blend. Store leftover seasoning blend in an air tight container for future use.
3. Place chicken thighs into a shallow container. In a separate dish, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, hot sauce, and 2 tablespoons of seasoning blend. Pour buttermilk mixture over chicken and turn pieces to coat evenly. Cover container with lid or plastic wrap and marinate for at least 30 minutes up to 24 hours.
4. Remove chicken from refrigerator. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and 1 tablespoon seasoning blend. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons buttermilk marinade (that chicken was soaking in) into flour mixture and mix in gently with a fork to create small clumps. This will add texture to the fried chicken.
5. Heat 2-inches oil over medium-high heat in a cast-iron skillet or heavy-bottomed pot. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and a wire rack on top.
6. Dredge chicken pieces in flour mixture on all sides. Shake off excess flour over dish.
7. When oil is hot (350 degrees Fahrenheit), cook chicken on each side until golden brown and crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes per side. Cook chicken in batches for even cooking. Transfer chicken to wire rack and finish cooking in oven until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit, about 10 more minutes.
8. In the meantime, in a small bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, Dijon, lemon juice, celery seeds, pickle juice, hot sauce, and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
9. Spread seasoned mayonnaise on both sides of the bun. Assemble sandwiches: bottom bun, seasoned mayonnaise, lettuce, cabbage, tomato, fried chicken, pickles, loads of hot sauce, and top bun.
10. Cook with soul. Eat with pleasure!